Happy Foodie Friday! As always, today I’m linking up with Emily from Whatever Floats Your Oats, Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl, Farrah from Fairyburger and Annmarie from The Fit Foodie Mama to create awesome healthy recipes! Be sure to check out all the amazing recipes in this link up and don’t forget to add your recipes as well!
This week’s theme is 5 Ingredients or Less. I’m going to take it one step further. Since I’m Catholic and we’re in Lent, Fridays means going Meatless. Any of my Meatless Monday posts would be great for Lenten Fridays, but if you’re looking for quick and easy, Lent-approved, 5 Ingredients or Less, try some of these recipes that even your kids can help you make.
1) Fish Tacos
* fish (mahi mahi, shrimp, shrimp tempura, your favorite fish)
* seasoning (Old Bay, Lemon Pepper, Blackening Seasoning, whatever spices you like on fish)
* Veggies: shredded lettuce, red cabbage, or slaw mix
* Sauce: tartar sauce (mayo/sweet pickle relish), Sriracha, or spicy mayo
Rinse and dry seafood. Rub the fish/shrimp with seasoning. Grill or bake. Add fish, shredded lettuce, and sauce of choice to tortilla. Serve.
2) Make Your Own Pizzas
* pita or Naan
* pizza sauce
* your favorite veggies
* mozzarella cheese
Add pizza sauce to pita/naan. Top with veggies (if I’m using mushrooms, onions, peppers, I like to saute them first) and cheese. Bake at 450F until cheese melted.
Some of my favoirte combos:
a) sauteed onions, peppers, mushrooms with black olives
b) sauteed mushrooms with goat cheese
c) cheese with fresh tomato slices baked on top
d) pesto with mushroom and goat cheese
3) Breakfast for Dinner
* hash browns or tater tots
Scramble eggs with cheese or fry eggs (your choice). Bake potatoes according to package directions. While the potatoes are cooking, saute the onions and peppers. Add onions, peppers and shredded cheese to top of potatoes when potatoes are done. Bake until cheese is melted.
4) Chile Rellenos Casserole (modified from Body for Life Cookbook) [ok, so it’s 7 ingredients, but the extra 2 are soooo worth it]
* 3 cans (4oz) whole green chiles, drained
* Monterey Jack Cheese (enough to fill/stuff your peppers)
* 1 1/4 cup egg substitute (or 3 eggs)
* Cheddar cheese (enough for topping)
* 1/2 cup flour
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1/2 cup salsa
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a baking dish with olive oil cooking spray. Stuff chiles with cheese and place in baking dish. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, flour, and milk. Pour mixture over chiles. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. Bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
5) Soup and Sammies
* sharp cheddar
* sweet pickle or tomatoes
* Roasted Red Pepper Soup (Pacific Foods)
Butter one side of each slice of bread. Preheat pan. When pan is hot, lay one slice butter side down, top with 2 slices of cheese, cover with other slice of bread (butter side up). When bottom is browned, flip and cook until browned and cheese melted. Spread on mayonnaise and add sweet pickles (my childhood favorite) or tomatoes (my other favorite). Serve with Roasted Red Pepper Soup!
What are some of your favorite 5 Ingredient or Less recipes?
- Cassandra | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’ | G+
- Farrah | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Annmarie | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Emily | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Esther | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
[inlinkz_linkup id=486545 mode=1]