July 17, 2016

Crockpot BBQ Pulled Pork

I’ve been eating pulled BBQ pork and pulled BBQ chicken since I was a kid. The combination of BBQ meat and cole slaw makes for a flavor filled bite. I’ve always watched the BBQ championships on all the food networks and, for a long time, was intimidated to try and make it myself. I’m never home long enough to babysit a slab of meat on a grill for an entire day.

So, when I realized that the slow cooker could offer me a way to combine my dry rub, my BBQ sauce and that slab of pork for an effortless meal, I was all in!

I’ve been making my own dry rubs for years. This one, I normally make for chicken, but it works very well on pork too.

Crockpot Pulled Pork

I like to start by rubbing down the pork butt all over with the dry rub and setting it in the slow cooker.

Crockpot Pulled Pork

I start letting that begin to cook while I put together my homemade BBQ sauce.  It’s just a few ingredients: ketchup, honey, brown sugar, molasses (not enough in the brown sugar for me!), worcestershire, and unsweetened applesauce.

Crockpot Pulled Pork

It’s a one bowl, dump it in and whisk together, kind of sauce. 5 minutes! My favorite kind of recipe.

Crockpot Pulled Pork

Pour the sauce over the pulled pork. Let the pork cook cook all day on low.

Crockpot Pulled Pork

Serve on your favorite roll with coleslaw and my Vegetarian Baked Beans and you have a perfect homecooked meal!

PulledPorkFI

[seo_recipe id=”5607″]

PBBsignature

18 Comments on “Crockpot BBQ Pulled Pork

Chrissa - Physical Kitchness
July 18, 2016 at 12:29 pm

COOL! I’ve never seen a BBQ sauce made with applesauce. I’m so intrigued. BBQ pulled pork is the BEST in the summertime. Always a hit!
Chrissa – Physical Kitchness recently posted…Coconut Ginger Cauliflower RiceMy Profile

GiGi Eats
July 18, 2016 at 1:21 pm

BBQ + Me = loveeee! hahaha! Not necessarily pork, but pulled chicken, I am ALL about that life! YUM!
GiGi Eats recently posted…Reeling In The Truth: Can You Poach Fish In The Dishwasher?My Profile

Debbie
July 18, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Well, I don’t do meat, but this recipe has given me a good idea for my favorite vegan alternative, jackfruit! Believe it or not, it has a great, pulled pork texture and can be delicious!
Debbie recently posted…Amazing Adventures at Blogfest and IDEA WorldMy Profile

My kids and husband love pulled pork in the crock pot. It’s so easy to make
Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…Pineapple Cantaloupe CarpacccioMy Profile

Julie
July 18, 2016 at 3:54 pm

I think the way you present your blogs and recipes is so great!

July 18, 2016 at 4:03 pm

I love recipes that you can just set and forget!
Kayla @ Blondes Have More Run recently posted…Blueberry Festival + Spartan RaceMy Profile

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
July 18, 2016 at 4:40 pm

I never think to use my crockpot in the summer! But I bet my family would love this ๐Ÿ™‚
Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…How to Get Back into a Healthy Routine After VacationMy Profile

glenneth
July 18, 2016 at 5:04 pm

yum, yum, yum!!!! i love all things bbq. saving this recipe!
glenneth recently posted…Wall Squat Challenge by Move It MondayMy Profile

Emily @Sinful Nutrition
July 18, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Pulled pork used to be my absolute favorite, but I haven’t had it in SO long. Thanks to you, it looks a lot easier than I thought to make myself!
Emily @Sinful Nutrition recently posted…Two-Ingredient Sweet Potato Ice CreamMy Profile

Sarah- A Whisk and Two Wands
July 18, 2016 at 10:59 pm

I love BBQ but not a meat fan. Perfect to throw together for my husband when we have guys over though or when he needs something for a work potluck!

Giselle Rochford
July 18, 2016 at 11:21 pm

Like Debbie, I don’t eat meat, but this is seriously making me crave some bbq pulled jackfruit right now!
Giselle Rochford recently posted…Tropical Avocado PopsiclesMy Profile

July 18, 2016 at 11:30 pm

This seasoning recipe sounds delicious Cassandra! I bet it tastes great on chicken, too!
Ilka recently posted…Running Log Week July 11thMy Profile

Christina Bauer
July 18, 2016 at 11:38 pm

OMG that sauce looks insane! Bet I could make this with seitan for a vegan take.
Christina Bauer recently posted…Stitch Fix ReviewMy Profile

Annmarie
July 19, 2016 at 7:56 am

I LOVE pulled pork especially made in the crockpot- so yummy!
Annmarie recently posted…Paleo Coconut Haystack CookiesMy Profile

Jill Conyers
July 19, 2016 at 9:14 am

I have never cooked pork before. I wonder if my meat-loving family would like this.

RFC
July 19, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Oooh I like Debbie’s idea above, about the jackfruit! I’ll have to give that a try! (Vegetarian here also!)
RFC recently posted…Out of the Mouths of Trail Babes.My Profile

Kimberly
July 19, 2016 at 4:49 pm

I love using my crockpot. It doesn’t heat up the entire kitchen in the Summer and it’s so easy to use.
Kimberly recently posted…Fit Disney Mom is on Snapchat!My Profile

Angela
July 19, 2016 at 7:52 pm

I am a huge fan of the crockpot! This recipe looks fabulous, thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚
Angela recently posted…Penne Pasta and Chicken Sausage with VeggiesMy Profile