August 7, 2016

Ratatouille Bolognese

I get really excited during the summer and fall when there are so many amazing vegetables available at the farmer’s market. Something about chopping vegetables, putting them in a pot and cooking them down just really says comfort to me. It really takes me back to my childhood watching my mother and grandmother spend Sundays making the most amazing meals from scratch.

Ratatouille Bolognese PIN

So, when I was trying to decide what to make for dinner tonight, I wanted to use some of those fresh vegetables, but also wanted to make something that could carry me over from Sunday Supper to Meatless Monday. You guys know I’m all about prepping on Sundays and using food throughout the week so I can put healthy meals on the table in a pinch as we’re running in and out of the house.

I recently made a pretty simple ratatouille, so I thought why not take that flavor profile and make an amazing vegetable bolognese. So, I started by coarse chopping some vegetables

Ratoutouille Bolognese

Those veggies all went into a deep stockpot with some butter and olive oil to sweat down. I really believe that all great meals start with sweating down some veggies. Just about every recipe that wakes up my palate starts with some sauteed veggies as a base.

Ratoutouille Bolognese

When the veggies are tender, I add the remaining ingredients and let all that simmer. At this stage, I check my seasoning like any good Italian, but taste testing the sauce until I know it’s right!

Ratoutouille Bolognese

When the sauce is ready, I puree it with my immersion blender. This is something I would say to do to your liking. I like a little bit of chunkiness to my sauce so I can get the smoothness of the base of the sauce, as well as the texture of the vegetables.

Ratoutouille Bolognese

To add another layer of flavor to this recipe, I add milk just before serving. I don’t like to add the milk to the whole pot of sauce because this sauce can be used on a variety of meals throughout the week. So, I portion out the amount of sauce for that meal and add the milk to just that serving. If I’m rewarming the sauce, I warm the sauce first and then add the milk.
Bolognese

The result is this beautiful sauce full of palate pleasing scrumptiousness! I’m not kidding when I tell you I’ve even eaten this sauce in a mug like it was soup…it’s THAT amazing!!!

Ratoutouille Bolognese

[seo_recipe id=”5333″]

PBBsignature

34 Comments on “Ratatouille Bolognese

Chrissa - Physical Kitchness
August 8, 2016 at 10:10 am

Oh man, this looks sooo tasty! I want to make a huge batch of this and freeze it for this fall/winter. Do you think it would keep well if I tried it?
Chrissa – Physical Kitchness recently posted…No Bake Paleo Chocolate Mango BarsMy Profile

tp keane
August 8, 2016 at 10:21 am

I can honestly say I’ve never had ratatouille before. It looks amazing though, so I reckon I should give it a go.

abbey
August 8, 2016 at 10:23 am

that looks great- the eggplant probably adds some amazing meatiness too
abbey recently posted…Gluten Free Shake and Bake Chicken | Healthy Copycat RecipeMy Profile

August 8, 2016 at 10:37 am

Cassandra – this is a great vegetarian dish option! Looks super yummy!
Ilka recently posted…Running Log Week August 1st – Half-Marathon TrainingMy Profile

Hilary
August 8, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Such a creative way to turn veggies into your main dish!

Terri Steffes
August 8, 2016 at 12:30 pm

This sounds amazing! I just read your bio, and I am a seven year breast cancer survivor. I’m a slow processor, and am just getting my health back on track. I think I have been living in shock all this time.
Terri Steffes recently posted…Portobello Burgers #SRCMy Profile

August 10, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Congratulations, Terri!!! I’m coming up on 6 years this October. It stays with me all the time and the shock of that word “survivor” some days evokes more of an emotional shock than others. Keep on fighting!

Kara
August 8, 2016 at 1:17 pm

I’m always looking for ways to sneak veggies into meals. My boys won’t eat them otherwise. They will never know how healthy this is for them 🙂

I love to make my own sauce with all the veggies! Like you I could eat it by the spoonful.
Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…Greek Pasta Salad with a TwistMy Profile

karen
August 8, 2016 at 2:27 pm

I actually just ate a meat bolognese last night for dinner – and so the timing of your veggie one is perfect! I love that idea and will try this in the fall when I can get some fab finds at farmers markets!
Karen
karen recently posted…Designer Looks for Less : Tracy NegoshianMy Profile

August 10, 2016 at 12:42 pm

It’s perfect for the Fall and anytime you’re craving bolognese but don’t want the heaviness of meat. You’ll love it!

Rachel
August 8, 2016 at 3:19 pm

This looks fantastic. I’ve always thought the name Ratatouille made it sound really intimidating but this made it look easy.
Rachel recently posted…Be The Princess If That’s What You Want To BeMy Profile

August 10, 2016 at 12:36 pm

I was always intimidated by making a traditional ratoutille until I actually made one. It wasn’t so difficult. The leftovers from my last ratoutille were perfect for this sauce.

Debra
August 8, 2016 at 3:56 pm

I have always wanted to try this! I am going to have to make this next week! Sounds good!
Debra recently posted…Angry Bird PartyMy Profile

glenneth
August 8, 2016 at 4:32 pm

this sounds and looks delicious! now i am HUNGRY! saving this!
glenneth recently posted…Dear Coach: Vol. 3My Profile

August 8, 2016 at 7:18 pm

That looks delicious! I would love having that over my gluten-free chickpea Banza pasta!
Kayla @ Blondes Have More Run recently posted…Metabolic HIIT Circuit WorkoutMy Profile

Heather Seeley
August 8, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Love all of the veggies in this dish. It looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Rachel Langer
August 8, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Great idea for a recipe! I have an abundance of produce on the counter. I better get chopping!
Rachel Langer recently posted…Memory Maker, PhotoPass, & Selfies – OH MY!My Profile

Christina Bauer
August 8, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Oh. My. God. You totally nailed it with this sauce!! I’m saving for dinner in the near future 🙂 Maybe even served over spaghetti squash!
Christina Bauer recently posted…Kiwi Kale Smoothie BowlMy Profile

August 10, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Thanks, Christina. You will love this sauce and the spaghetti squash is a great idea for a low carb version! That’s usually my go to also.

Ana De- Jesus
August 9, 2016 at 5:26 am

This looks healthy and delicious. I love a good healthy bologna and this fits the mold perfectly!
Ana De- Jesus recently posted…My Mermaid FantasyMy Profile

Julie @ Running in a Skirt
August 9, 2016 at 8:38 am

What a great way to pack in some serious vegetables! Looks amazing!

Amanda Love
August 9, 2016 at 9:51 am

I don’t think I’ve had this kind of bolognese before. It’s a nice take from the classic recipe and a great way to hide veggies from the kids as well! Thanks! I’m keeping this recipe for sure!
Amanda Love recently posted…Start Your Morning with SnackWell’s Biscuit Thins – #BiscuitBreakMy Profile

Robin Rue
August 9, 2016 at 10:42 am

This looks so delicious! A good ratatouille is so good and I love the idea of it over noodles.

Reesa Lewandowski
August 9, 2016 at 10:45 am

I am going to have to give this a try for dinner one night! I bet my kids would love it.

Angela
August 9, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Yum! This looks incredible, can’t wait to try it!!!
Angela recently posted…Triathlon Race Day Etiquette TipsMy Profile

Cara (@StylishGeek)
August 9, 2016 at 12:43 pm

I tend to add a lot of veggies whenever I make spaghetti sauce. Now looking at your post I would love to try the same with ratatouille. Thanks for sharing!

August 10, 2016 at 12:35 pm

I came up with this on a total fluke. I had made ratoutille and had some left, but the family was wanting pasta. They often request bolognese, so I thought why not use the ratoutille and make a meatless bolognese! It turned out so great that it’s a regular sauce for us now.

Rose Sahetapy
August 10, 2016 at 6:22 am

Vegetables and pasta are two best ingredients for a meal. It looks amazing, and you turn the classic bolognese into a creative dish. Love it!

Megan McCoig
August 10, 2016 at 8:50 am

Omg I love Italian foods. This looks like an amazing dish. Ugh making me hungry, must try!

August 10, 2016 at 12:33 pm

You will love it! Such a veggie fresh take on bolognese.

Heather
August 10, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Yum! This looks delicious! I love how you added all the extra veggies – I definitely have a lot from my garden, so perfect recipe!
Heather recently posted…and just like that – Jack is Six!My Profile

Dawn McAlexander
August 10, 2016 at 2:45 pm

I like my pasta sauces with some texture to them. Adding the veggies is a great way to get that texture. And it is better for you than meat, so great job.
Dawn McAlexander recently posted…My Hard Rock Cafe Pigeon Forge Pin HaulMy Profile

Toni
August 10, 2016 at 5:23 pm

I love Ratatouille!!!! It has just the right mix of pasta, sauce, meat, and veggies. It’s a great recipe for any time of the year as well.