October 9, 2016

From the Archives: Baked Eggplant Parmigiana

October 1st was World Vegetarian Day and the whole month of October is Vegetarian Awareness Month. So, I’ve pulled my Baked Eggplant Parmigiana from the Archives to share. What better way to kick start off Vegetarian Awareness Month than with a little piece of my heritage!

I’m Italian on my father’s side.  My grandmother was from Termini Imerese in the Sicilian Islands and my grandfather was from Campobasso.

map

On my mother’s side, my grandmother was American Indian (Cherokee) and my grandfather English.  We spent more time with my Italian relatives, so I grew up eating mostly Italian Sunday Suppers.  Although my grandmother was Indian, she lived in the south and ended up with a knack for making the best macaroni and cheese and biscuits and gravy you ever had.

My absolute favorite dish of my Italian grandmother’s was her eggplant parmigiana.  Of course, she fried the eggplant in lots of oil, so I’ve made mine healthier by using fresh bread and baking the eggplant.  I also added some protein by using a white bean marinara sauce. Lastly, because they are small, they are quicker to tenderize, so I’ve switched the recipe to the Japanese eggplant (don’t tell her….she’ll probably roll over!).

eggplant

After slicing the eggplant, place it in a colander and salt it.  Leave it sit for 30 minutes.  This will pull the excess moisture out and keep your recipe from being soggy.  Pat each piece dry before moving to the dredging stage.

eggplant5

Pulse your bread in a food processor type machine of your choice.  Add Parmesan cheese and Italian seasonings.

eggplant3

Dredge the eggplant in almond milk and then the breadcrumb/Parmesan mixture.

eggplant6

Place on an olive oil sprayed aluminum foil lined baking sheet.  Broil for 3-4 minutes on each side.

eggplant7

Begin layering the dish.  Place marinara sauce on bottom, followed by eggplant, then marinara, then cheese.  Continue layering until baking dish is filled.

eggplant8

Top with cheese.  Bake for 15 minutes.

eggplant10

Of course, if you’re Italian nothing goes better with eggplant than a side of pasta! I like to serve this dish with my Ratouille Bolognese for all Vegetarian meal!

Ratoutouille Bolognese

There are so many wonderful Vegetarian options to fuel your engine, like my Two Pesto Summer Squash Lasagna. Check out all my recipes HERE

13 Comments on “From the Archives: Baked Eggplant Parmigiana

Carmy
October 10, 2016 at 4:08 pm

Sounds delicious! Love the layer of cheese on top 😉
Carmy recently posted…Cottage Pie Twice Baked PotatoesMy Profile

Angela @marathonsandmotivation.com
October 10, 2016 at 4:41 pm

I love eggplant parm! This recipe sounds amazing!!

Sarah- A Whisk and Two Wands
October 10, 2016 at 8:36 pm

I really wish my family liked eggplant, dairy free eggplant parm for one please!

Kerri McGrail
October 10, 2016 at 8:45 pm

I love eggplant! one of the most underrated veggies IMO!

October 10, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Eggplant parm is always a crowd favorite!
Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…Cinnamon Raisin Pumpkin Challah French ToastMy Profile

October 10, 2016 at 11:38 pm

I haven’t had eggplant parmigiana in ages Cassandra. I need to put this one my dinner list! Always so yummy!

Abbey Sharp
October 11, 2016 at 12:19 am

This looks fantastic!! Eggplant parmasean is one my fave dishes!! Thanks so much for sharing, ill have to make this one.

Kristin
October 11, 2016 at 12:48 am

I can’t believe how good this looks! I haven’t had eggplant in a while and I think I have to have some again and try this recipe! Pinning – Thanks!

glenneth
October 11, 2016 at 6:39 am

i am not an eggplant fan, but my husband would LOVE this.

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
October 11, 2016 at 7:50 am

I never think to make eggplant but it’s such a perfect vegetarian ingredient! It has that heartiness that makes it a great main dish!

October 11, 2016 at 8:23 am

Look at all that cheese!!!! As delicious as this looks as is, I wonder if there’s a way I could make it healthier. I have a couple of eggplants sitting in my fridge from the CSA this week!
Kayla @ Blondes Have More Run recently posted…Creamy Roasted Garlic and Parsnip Soup + Parsnip Recipe Link-UpMy Profile

Jill Conyers
October 11, 2016 at 5:16 pm

I love egg plant parmesan. Now that I think about it I haven’t made it in forever.
Jill Conyers recently posted…How Do You Know If You Need a Self-Care Plan?My Profile

Tara
October 11, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Love family recipes! That pasta sauce looks delicious!
Tara recently posted…5 Things To Do Before Every WorkoutMy Profile