October 21, 2016

Family That Runs Together Earns BLING Together

I haven’t always been a runner. I don’t come from a family of runners. Even when I decided to celebrate my breast cancer victory by doing a triathlon, I had no idea how I was going to make it through the run. The thought of running even a mile didn’t appeal to me, yet I had signed up for two triathlons where I would have to run.

The first few months I completely ignored my running training. To say I had a mental block when it came to running is a HUGE understatement. So that summer, I joined our local running club. I won’t say I was excited to go to practices. I was the slowest runner in the group often far behind the next runner in front of me. At that time, the best I could do was a run/walk switching between running and walking every minute or two. After the first season, I wasn’t sure I wanted to go back. That’s when The Hubby decided to join Flying Feet.  He became my first level of accountability. The Hubby never does anything half-hearted. Once he commits to something, he’s all in 100%. So, even on those nights when I just wanted to sit on the couch, he would remind me we needed to leave soon for running. That would prompt me to begrudgingly go upstairs and change my clothes. Once I got to practice, I could feel the energy from everyone else. No one cared that I ran in the back. No one cared that I was slow. Even when the elite runners passed me, they all gave me encouragement. On weekends when we ran races, The Hubby would finish in the front of the pack, then run back to wherever I was and finish the race again with me.

Family running-main-street-mile

Not long after that first season, we started doing local races together as a family. Mini Me was running with the local youth track team and running, crazy as it seems now, had become a family bonding activity. As the seasons came and went, we started looking for races that we could do while we were on vacation, an activity known now to most people as a racecation. For the last several years, we’ve taken many racecations and we each have our own homemade BLING rack showcasing all our medals.

In the last couple years, I’ve gone from a run/walker doing 16 minute miles to now running 12-14 minute miles. My goal for 2017 is to get that down to at least one 5K at an 11 minute mile.

Last month, we traveled to Paris for the Inaugural Disneyland Paris Half Marathon weekend. The Hubby ran the half. Mini Me and I ran the 5K. At the time we signed up for the race, I wasn’t sure I’d be ready to run a half after a disappointing DNF in 2015.  I also knew Mini Me would be on the trip with us and I wasn’t prepared to let her out of my sight in a foreign country.  The race weekend was amazing. I ran my best 5K ever! I was so excited when we finished. I couldn’t wait to tell The Hubby how well I had run. I’ll be recapping our race weekend and the rest of our European adventures in future blog posts. For now, I’ll just say that The Hubby and I are planning to go back to Paris for race weekend next year just so I can run the Half Marathon!

Family running-dlp-2016

In November, I’ll be running the 10K Across the Bay. In April, The Hubby and I are both registered for the Star Wars Half. In between, we’ll be running local 5K’s together as a family as well as goal races with our running club. We’ll also be cheering for each other as one of us runs certain races and the other becomes the cheering squad.

If you’d have told me six year ago that running would become such an important part of not just my life, but my family life, I’d have thought you were crazy. But, running has changed me. It’s changed my life. It’s changed our family life. Being a family that runs together has enriched our life in so many ways and it continues to be the inspiration for some of the amazing travel we intend to do as a family. If we’re going to travel the world, we might as well bring home some BLING while we’re at it, right?

How does running fit into your family’s life?

What races or triathlons do you have coming up that are pushing you to live by the Powered By BLING motto to Challenge Yourself to Cross Your Own Personal Finish Lines?

Cross Your Finish Lines!
Craving More? Get exclusive subscriber access to healthy living information, workouts, training, racecation and travel deals, and recipes!

40 Comments on “Family That Runs Together Earns BLING Together

Kim
October 21, 2016 at 8:58 am

This is so great! The hubby and I usually pick the same races or go as support crew, so I totally get it! Makes all the difference in the world to have a great support system! The 10K across the bay is great. I’ve never run it but I used to live right there so I know it is well done! Enjoy!

October 21, 2016 at 10:20 am

Thanks! I was supposed to run it last year but had a foot injury. So, I’m really excited to complete it this year!

Jenn @ Run With Sole
October 21, 2016 at 9:02 am

What a great story! I think it’s awesome that your family has supported and encouraged you to keep going and be open to new running experiences. I love sharing my love for running with my kids and even though my husband is a cyclist and doesn’t run, he’s always up for going to a race and being our cheerleader. Awesome to “meet” you through the blog hop!
Jenn @ Run With Sole recently posted…Fool-proof pumpkin purée in 10 easy steps!My Profile

October 21, 2016 at 10:19 am

Thanks Jenn! We certainly love all the racecation experiences that have come into our family life through running together.

Marissa @ Where I Need to Be
October 21, 2016 at 10:34 am

YOU are amazing! What an incredible story and how special that you have such a supportive husband and that you’re able to share your love of running with your daughter!

October 21, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Thank you for that compliment! I really just feel like an everyday wife and mom that just gets really excited to help other people achieve their goals. If I can just live my life in a way that inspires even one person to realize we all have the ability to do anything and they reach down deep and smash through their fears than I will consider myself successful.

Amanda @bephoenixfit
October 21, 2016 at 10:49 am

I’m so glad I met your blog! I just love your energy, your outlook, and your positivity. You have me planning a 5k next weekend and wanting to sign up for a Disney half! 🙂

October 21, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Great! That’s exactly why I’m here!!! To inspire others to Cross Your Finish Lines by achieving new goals. I hope to inspire you regularly! We’re doing Star Wars Half in April…they still have bibs…it could be your first! (I can also help you plan your trip) 🙂

Ange // Cowgirl Runs
October 21, 2016 at 11:44 am

I absolutely love the encouragement from the running community.
I’m certainly not the fastest, I’ve learned what matters is that you’re doing it, not that you’re winning or losing.
Ange // Cowgirl Runs recently posted…My October SPUD FavouritesMy Profile

October 21, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Runners really do support people no matter where they are in their journey. I love when new people join our club. When they are the pace of the friends I run with, our coach always asks me to run with them. I love making them feel welcomed and assuring them that everyone is there to support them.

Runaway Bridal Planner
October 21, 2016 at 11:55 am

Love this!
I was raised in a very active family, we went hiking on the weekends or did something outdoors, we were all pushed to find sports we loved to do. Many of us were runners, I still remember watching my dad cross finishlines and I remember the times he let me tag along on my bike for his training runs.
I totally agree with you, when you do things as a family it’s more fun. I couldnt tell you how many times my parents remodeled the house, or bought new cars. But I can remember all the family trips, sports and times we spent together and now I like to pass that on, so yes this is a very importan subject!!!
Runaway Bridal Planner recently posted…Come on my RunMy Profile

October 21, 2016 at 4:08 pm

YAY! That makes me feel so good that Mini Me will look back like you do and remember those same things. That’s exactly how we try to live our life!

Kathryn @ Dancing to Running
October 21, 2016 at 12:02 pm

I love that you’ve made running a family affair. What a great example that you and your husband are setting for your daughter. Congrats on the progress that you’ve made so far, and here’s to reaching your next goal!
Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…My First Marathon Will Be…My Profile

October 21, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Thanks so much! When I realized we had found something so active to bond together as family, it made my heart smile. I always want Mini Me to have that active mindset and I take great pride in knowing that we are starting her off with good habits that will last her lifetime!

Missy - Getting Fit to Find Myself
October 21, 2016 at 12:05 pm

I am so happy for you! And slightly jealous! I don’t have anyone to run with me. I would love for my husband to join me but he has no interest. I think it would be so awesome to include him in something I love so much.

I think it is great that your Mini Me is already running with you! Those will be memories she will always have!
Missy – Getting Fit to Find Myself recently posted…Book Review: Running HomeMy Profile

October 21, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Luckily for me, my husband has always been a runner. He ran cross country in high school so running is kind of his thing. I tried to get him to do triathlons with me, but he doesn’t have any interest in doing them just standing on the sidelines and supporting me. Maybe one day your hubby will see how much you love it and change his mind!

October 21, 2016 at 12:39 pm

I absolutely love your story! It’s so motivating how you literally stepped out of your comfort zone and joined the running group. Saw your IG pics from Paris and can’t wait to hear how the race went.
Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…When Running Is Hard: 8 Ways To Regain Your MojoMy Profile

October 21, 2016 at 4:34 pm

The toughest part about sharing our European trip is going to be choosing from the thousands of photos we have! 🙂

Chrissy @ Snacking in Sneakers
October 21, 2016 at 8:37 pm

I’m similar to you in that I never expected running to be such a big part of my life, but now I can’t imagine life without it! My little one is still too young for races (he’s only a year and a half) but I can’t wait to get him out on the courses with us once he’s ready! 🙂

October 22, 2016 at 4:59 pm

I loved when Mini Me hit the 2-3 year old age group and some of the local events we went to would have the kids fun run. They are just so adorable running those little races! When she turned 5, she joined the swim team, local youth track club and local triathlon club. The track team has the 5 year olds run 50m distances at the meet. If that isn’t the cutest darn thing you ever did see! I swear I blinked and she is now almost 11.

Lauren @ Lauren Runs
October 21, 2016 at 8:39 pm

I love this! I have to agree… I would not be half the runner or athlete I am today if it were not for my now-husband. He’s an avid runner and has set a great example even for my worst periods of motivation.

October 22, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Lauren that’s great! I’m so happy to hear you and your husband share this same bond. It’s amazing having that support.

Sarah- A Whisk and Two Wands
October 21, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Love this! Such an inspiring story and my family and I like running races together too and I can’t wait to do more destination races when they’re older. So far we’ve only run local, ones a few hours away, and one when we were in Ireland for a summer as my hubby ran his first half marathon there.
Like you said so many great memories and such a great bonding experience!

October 22, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Absolutely! I’m really looking forward to the day that Mini Me is old enough that we can do a mother/daughter triathlon!

Abbey Sharp
October 21, 2016 at 10:24 pm

This is an awesome way to get the family involved, bond, and stay active while doing so. Definitely inspirational!
Abbey Sharp recently posted…Vegan Cheesecake Dessert Nachos | Dairy Free & Refined Sugar FreeMy Profile

October 22, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Thanks, Abbey! Inspiration is exactly the purpose of my blog!

Chrissy
October 22, 2016 at 12:17 am

I think it’s absolutely wonderful that your entire family has made running and a healthy, fit lifestyle such a priority. You’re teaching your daughter great things! Wonderful story.
Chrissy recently posted…KICKBOXING TO IMPROVE FLEXIBILITYMy Profile

October 22, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Thanks! We’ve always been active together, but I think surviving the cancer really gave us the push to make health & fitness more of a priority in our lives.

October 22, 2016 at 7:07 am

I bet it’s nice having a family to hold you accountable. I’m pretty much the only one in my family that runs. I can sometimes get my boyfriend to run with me, but he never quite gets into it as much as I do! You’re very lucky 🙂
Kayla @ Blondes Have More Run recently posted…Roasted Chickpea Power BowlMy Profile

Esther
October 22, 2016 at 9:47 am

This is so wonderful! I love how running has brought your family closer together! I am sure Mini Me will have so many amazing memories from all the training and races!
I can’t wait to read about our Paris experiences! It sounds like a fantastic race and trip 🙂

October 22, 2016 at 4:50 pm

It was amazing! I’ll be sharing it over the next couple weeks.

Allyson Brandt
October 22, 2016 at 7:29 pm

That’s so great! I love incorporating my family into my runs. Can’t wait to hear all about Paris!

Tara
October 22, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Love this! My daughter is only 4, but I’ve started taking her to the races I run so she can do the kiddo fun runs beforehand. And we’ve done some Color Runs, too. Hope her love of running keeps growing! Can’t wait to read more about Paris!
Tara recently posted…6 Things I’m Loving Right Now, October 2016My Profile

Sarah Grace Spann
October 22, 2016 at 8:38 pm

So fun! Thanks for sharing!

Liz
October 22, 2016 at 9:17 pm

I love this!! My sister in law started running this year and it’s been fun keeping each other accountable!

October 23, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Fun! You guys can start your own racecation tradition. Have you run any races together yet?

October 23, 2016 at 7:17 am

I love it! Yes earning bling together as a family is so special and makes so many great memories!
Running a race together brings gets the whole family together and motivated! Beautiful post, Cassandra!
Ilka recently posted…Sunday Fitness & Food Link-Up – Welcome back!My Profile

October 23, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Thanks, Ilka. These memories are ones I’ll cherish for sure when I look back.

Farrah
October 23, 2016 at 7:40 pm

I still think it’s so awesome that you and your family run together! Talk about a built-in support system! :]! Having that makes a world of a difference! :] I’m looking forward to reading about your upcoming runs! :] That Star Wars one sounds like it’ll be a lot of fun!

Montana @ Pretty Lil Mudder
October 23, 2016 at 7:46 pm

You are so lucky that your entire family runs with you! I would love to have my family run with me. My parents aren’t runners and never have been and my brothers aren’t into it either. My boyfriend runs with me sometimes, but he’s kinda stopped doing that too. I’ve found a great running community here in my hometown though- I agree- most if not all runners I’ve met are super supportive, no matter if they are really fast or slower! It’s a great thing to have people who support and encourage you!
Montana @ Pretty Lil Mudder recently posted…Goals to Finish Up 2016 (TOTR)My Profile