December 6, 2016

15 Minute Takeout-Inspired Pad Thai

I’ve been so under the weather this past week. I’ve got the crazy head cold going around. It was so bad the first couple days that I literally didn’t get out of bed. The head-feels-like-it’s-in-a-vice sinus pressure was unbearable. Needless to say once I actually felt up to eating, I was living on little bits of chicken noodle soup throughout the day. Of course, being the spice lover that I am, I add Tabasco to my chicken noodle soup. My family makes fun of me for it, but there is something about that little kick of heat from the Tabasco that really warms your sick body and clears your sinuses, even if just for a few moments. Ahhhhh! Try it next time you have chicken noodle or chicken rice soup. YUM!

Enough about my terrible week and my idiosyncrasies when it comes to Tabasco in my soup. Once I was feeling better, I broke out the veggies in my fridge and went to town on my takeout-inspired pad thai. This is one of my favorite dishes to throw together when I’m in the mood for a spicy dish. The sauce in my version only has four ingredients.  The base uses only noodles (either pasta or veggie noodles) and veggies (your favorites stir-fry ones!).  To blanch the vegetables, I use a Pampered Chef steamer basket.

[seo_recipe id=”6078″]

A lean protein of your choice can be added to this dish if a protein serving is desired. Suggestions are grilled shrimp or salmon. Mix 1 Tbsp raw honey, 1 Tbsp coconut aminos, 1 tsp sesame oil and 1 tsp Sriracha.  Spread over protein. Grill, stir-fry or bake and serve over noodles.

Kid-Friendly Side Note – If you don’t want to make 2 totally different dinners, but the kids won’t eat pad thai (Mini Me sometimes loves it….other times, she’s not in the mood for it) – no need to fret!  Just use some of the noodles and make what my mom used to call Poor Man’s Fettucine (noodles, grassfed butter, and fresh grated Parmesan).

pad-thai-pin

Cross Your Finish Lines!
Craving More? Get exclusive subscriber access to healthy living information, workouts, training, racecation and travel deals, and recipes!

12 Comments on “15 Minute Takeout-Inspired Pad Thai

GiGi Eats
December 6, 2016 at 3:32 pm

I HAVE NEVER HAD THAI food before in my life. But that’s ABOUT TO CHANGE when I go to Thailand at the end of this month – ha!

December 7, 2016 at 10:44 am

Gigi, you will love thai food! I’m sure you’ll have some great recipe videos when you get back from there. Have a great trip!

Tara @ A Daily Dose of Fit
December 7, 2016 at 9:24 pm

How have you never had Thai food?! Girl, eat that ish up when you are there!

December 6, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Hmm I have some soba noodles in my closet calling to me.

Chrissy @ Snacking in Sneakers
December 6, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Pad thai is my ALL TIME favorite takeout food! It’s what I crave after long runs. Will definitely have to try this at home version.
Chrissy @ Snacking in Sneakers recently posted…Eggnog French Toast {Perfect Holiday Breakfast Made with Ingredients from BJ’s Wholesale Club!}My Profile

December 7, 2016 at 10:40 am

I love some shrimp pad thai too Chrissy! The sauce is this version is more heavily accented on the peanut sauce side and add add extra spice to mine. I’m a peanut butter addict so this flavor profile and heat rock my palate! Hope you enjoy!

abbey sharp
December 7, 2016 at 12:42 am

Oh boy, I know how you feel I think I’ve been coming down with a cold too!! I need to try this Pad Thai, yum!!!
abbey sharp recently posted…Christmas Low Sugar Desserts & Easy Low Calorie Recipe SwapsMy Profile

December 7, 2016 at 10:41 am

Sorry to hear you’re getting sick. ‘Tis the season! Though I love this dish, when I’m sick what really makes me feel better is some Frank’s Hot Sauce in my chicken noodle soup. Really clears my head! If you like spicy, give it a go.

Kalee
December 7, 2016 at 10:29 am

This looks amazing! I love healthy homemade pad thai! I’m glad you’re feeling better – colds suck!
Kalee recently posted…Comment on Les Mills Combat and Pump DVDs – Going Away Forever! by StephMy Profile

masala girl
December 7, 2016 at 6:23 pm

that sounds so easy and i love the simple ingredients! you cant go wrong with any type of pasta and veggies 🙂
masala girl recently posted…Apple Cider Vinegar & Balsamic Vinaigrette + My Favorite ACV RecipesMy Profile

December 18, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Right!? Noodles, veggies, some protein and a little sauce – quick and delicious!

Farrah
December 8, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Whatwhat?! You had me at pad thai. *-* It looks and sounds delicious, and I love that it can be made in 15 minutes! I’m definitely loving quick + simple/healthy recipes these days!

I hope you feel better soon! <3