January 24, 2017

Fitting in Fitness – Yes You Have Enough Time in Your Schedule

fitting in fitness

I am the master of fitting in fitness to my crazy schedule. For those of you that know me, you know I’m one of those crazy over extended moms. For those of you that don’t, here’s my list: full-time career as a forensic scientist, wife, mom, swim team coordinator, fitness instructor, triathlete, runner, blogger, own a travel agency, writing my first non-fiction book and am in the process of starting my own fitness brand. So I definitely know about fitting in fitness to a tight schedule. I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t have an amazing and amazingly supportive husband! I love you, Joe.

I often overhear people say they can’t find time to workout. Usually, it’s while they are sitting and chatting with other moms, drinking their Starbucks during their kids sports practice after I just finished my run (or bike or swim). I have interjected and said bring your clothes to the next practice! A group of swim moms actually organized and now do Bodypump during that time. No excuses!!

Fact of the matter is we all have so many pockets of time in our schedules. We just need to take a step back and think about how much we can accomplish during those times.

Since the beginning of January, I’ve been back in base training mode. Even though my training is year round, it goes in different phases. My current triathlon/half marathon training schedule has me training in at least two areas most days. I had to sit down and think about my life schedule (work, family, sports commitments) and where I could fit it all in because, let’s face it, if it doesn’t work with our lives we aren’t going to do it.  That’s KEY to understanding your commitment. It has to work for your existing life.

I’ve carved out the times where my running club meets, the training I can do while Mini Me is at sports practices, and then filled in where I can make tweaks in my schedule such as using my lunch hour at work to fit in the rest. I use the same logic every time the phase of my training changes. In my previous post, 5 Fitting in Fitness Workouts, I outlined some ways you could use this strategy to find those pockets of time along with a few workouts you can do say when you’re cooking dinner!

What strategies do you use for fitting in fitness to your busy life?

FREE Guide to Setting and Achieving Your Goals
Subscribe to download. This guide will walk you through creating actionable steps toward reaching your goals!

43 Comments on “Fitting in Fitness – Yes You Have Enough Time in Your Schedule

Margie
January 24, 2017 at 3:07 pm

I needed to read this blog today. And, yay for supportive husband, Joe!!

January 30, 2017 at 9:27 am

What are you doing for fitness right now, Margie? I think you can get in some great fitness while playing with the grandbaby 🙂

January 30, 2017 at 8:16 am

I had now idea you were a forensic scientist! You are very busy and quite impressive that you fit that all in. Have a great week
Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…Vegetarian Greek Stuffed Peppers with Tzatziki DrizzleMy Profile

Chrissa - Physical Kitchness
January 30, 2017 at 9:11 am

Love this. Yesterday I busted out a 30 min HIIT workout outside as my toddler was playing. If there isn’t time, I just try to find it! Even if he was trying to get on my back as I planked 😉

January 30, 2017 at 9:23 am

Bonus! Weighted planks 🙂 And for moms who take their toddlers to park, the playground area there is a great way to get a workout in.

Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home
January 30, 2017 at 9:14 am

I just smile when people tell me they don’t have time. I have an incredibly busy schedule, just like everyone else. If it’s important to you, you’ll make time.
Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Cruise ControlMy Profile

Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home
January 30, 2017 at 9:16 am

I always just smile when people tell me that they don’t have time to work out. I’m incredibly busy too, and I make it work. If it’s important to you, you’ll find time. Right?
Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Cruise ControlMy Profile

January 30, 2017 at 9:20 am

Totally! You can fit anything in your schedule when it’s a priority to you.

Rachel
January 30, 2017 at 9:36 am

We definitely do have pockets of time to fit in workouts. And it kills me when people complain that they don’t! Make it a priority and all will fall into place. <3
Rachel recently posted…16 Smoothies to Fuel Your Training CycleMy Profile

Mariangelica @ Chasing Littles
January 30, 2017 at 10:51 am

I couldn’t agree more. It’s not about if you have the time it’s if you’re willing to MAKE the time. EVERYONE has the time. it’s all about priorities!
Mariangelica @ Chasing Littles recently posted…Paprika French Fries – The Healthy WayMy Profile

Mariangelica @ Chasing Littles
January 30, 2017 at 10:56 am

I couldn’t agree more. I don’t get it when people say they don’t have time, we ALL have time it’s all about MAKING the time. It just comes down to priorities at the end of the day. Best of luck with your book!

Katie Shepherd
January 30, 2017 at 11:37 am

Now that all three of my kids are in school, I can run after I drop them off. I teach fitness classes three days a week in the afternoons. The gym offered me more hours to work but with three kids and all of their activities, I’m not sure I can add anything else right now.

January 30, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Great job taking advantage of your schedule especially while they are at school.

marcia
January 30, 2017 at 1:41 pm

I truly believe we all make time for our priorities. Sometimes getting into productive habits can be a challenge, but it’s attainable if one wants it badly enough.
marcia recently posted…Who’s Up For a Runner’s Retreat?My Profile

February 4, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Yes, Marcia! We all commit to and prioritize the things we really care about. You hit the nail on the head!

Kimberly Hatting
January 30, 2017 at 2:26 pm

I agree, it’s all about priorities. Which reminds me, I need to make yoga more of a priority…because that keeps getting side-lined.

abbey sharp
January 30, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Couldn’t agree more!! To make sure I incorporate fitness into my daily regime I always go first thing in the morning, this way I can get it out of the way and tackle my busy list of to-do’s!
abbey sharp recently posted…Aphrodisiac Myth Busting | Do Sexy Foods Really Put You in the Mood?My Profile

Nicole @ Fitful Focus
January 30, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Wake up earlier! That way, you can get your workout in before you can come up with any excuses. It will suck at first, but soon enough, your body will get used to it. Plus, a good sweat sesh will leave you awake and ready to take on the day ahead.

Emily @Sinful Nutrition
January 30, 2017 at 7:01 pm

I make sure to put it into my schedule just as I would an appointment or other commitment. Doing something you enjoy also makes it so much easier to commit to!

Kathryn @ Dancing to Running
January 30, 2017 at 7:51 pm

If you want it bad enough, then you’ll find the time to fit the fitness in, no matter how many other things you might have to work around.
Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 4My Profile

Jaycie Sullivan
January 30, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Impressive! I wish I was better at fitting all that crazy into my schedule!

February 4, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Chalk it up to Type A personality! 😉

Jodi @ Create Kids Club
January 30, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Great points. It is so easy to make excuses!
Jodi @ Create Kids Club recently posted…Watermelon Sticks + Fruit DipMy Profile

Toni
January 30, 2017 at 8:26 pm

I honestly think if you want it bad enough, you will
Fit it in. Period. If you don’t, you will make excuses!
Toni recently posted…Get Comfortable With Being UncomfortableMy Profile

Jenn
January 30, 2017 at 9:06 pm

For the most part, if it’s important to you, you find a way.
Jenn recently posted…weekly wrap: 1.22.2017 – 1.28.2017My Profile

Kerri McGrail
January 30, 2017 at 9:11 pm

There is always time to be active and take care of yourself! i am a firm believer in this!
Kerri McGrail recently posted…Cinnamon Pumpkin Pancakes (GF & Vegan)My Profile

Sarah
January 30, 2017 at 9:14 pm

There is always time! Even now going to hour classes 4 days a week outside of the home and after getting the girls to school things are crazy yet I make time and mentally I’m in a better place. I might have laundry sitting unfolded sometimes and dishes in the sink but hey priorities and at the end of the day it all gets done, or what needs to.

Chrissy
January 30, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Very true. If it’s not going to work with our lives and schedules, we’re not going to do it. I struggle to find time to exercise with 3 toddlers running around me but even 1, 2, 3 five minute workouts are better than nothing!
Chrissy recently posted…7 EASY FOODS TO BOOST METABOLISMMy Profile

Christina Bauer
January 31, 2017 at 12:09 am

Preach! “No time” is the WORST possible excuse for not working out. Even a 30 minute walk is better than nothing! My tips are that I make fitness a required part of my schedule. I literally add all my workouts to my phone’s calendar (which I live and die by), so there’s no excuse or over-scheduling 🙂
Christina Bauer recently posted…Wild Blueberry Avocado Protein SmoothieMy Profile

February 4, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Were we separated at birth? I do the same thing! They are color coded on my iPhone calendar with a reminder alarm. When I go to add something to my calendar that time is treating like any other appointment – can’t double book.

jill conyers
January 31, 2017 at 3:55 am

I’m a big believer in if it’s important you’ll make/find the time. Just ask my PT clients 🙂
jill conyers recently posted…Do You Need a Technology Detox?My Profile

Julie Wunder
January 31, 2017 at 9:40 am

Holy smokies! When do you sleep???? You are proof that we can get it done
!

February 4, 2017 at 12:24 pm

LOL! That’s what everyone asks me. I’m such a burn the candle at both ends girl. That’s why working on sleep is one of my goals for this year. Honestly, I’m huge at multitasking and also using the pockets of time I have in my schedule like I talk about in this article. It’s amazing how much you can accomplish on your To Do list in 15-20 minutes.

January 31, 2017 at 10:13 am

Love this post! I totally agree Cassandra. There is always time to incorporate some sort of fitness into your day – every little bit counts!!

Ange // Cowgirl Runs
January 31, 2017 at 11:32 am

I’m slowly getting better at fitting things in. Sometimes all I can manage is a walk/run at lunch, but every bit counts!
Ange // Cowgirl Runs recently posted…Hello February! My Goals for the MonthMy Profile

February 4, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Yes! That philosophy is key especially for those getting started in a regular routine. Great point! Every little bit counts, so if all you have time for is 15-20 mins, like Nike says, Just Do It!

The Accidental Marathoner
January 31, 2017 at 12:06 pm

I agree! Who’s not busy??? There’s always time to fit something in. Like you, I am a wife, mom, have a career AND a busy business on top of that, care for my elderly mother in my home…the list goes on and on! You just have to make yourself and your health a priority…even if that means setting an alarm to get up earlier in the day.

February 4, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Exactly, Linda! We are all overextended. That’s the world we live in. Tweaking our schedules week to week is a must.

Kara @ Byte Sized Nutrition
January 31, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Wow sounds like you are insanely busy! Good for you for continuing to keep your health and fitness a priority among all the other responsibilities you have going on in your life!

February 4, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Ridiculously so, I know. But I have a vision for my 2nd career and I’ve got to put in the work to get here. I know in the long run it will pay off. My race goals drive me to keep up my training – that’s what I love about racing.

Mikki
January 31, 2017 at 5:07 pm

Ah the time bandit. My kids are grown and I find it harder now to set aside time to exercise then I did when my girls were little. But you’re right.. you just have to make the time.

Daisy
February 2, 2017 at 2:02 pm

I really need to schedule exercise and do it. I love Yoga and feel amazing doing it and afterwards, but it’s hard to get started.

Something I once read (can’t remember where):

“My workouts take 1.5 hours: 0.5 hour for the workout and 1 hour to talk myself into it.”

That about sums it up for me.
Daisy recently posted…How To Keep Your Child Safe On The InternetMy Profile

February 4, 2017 at 12:17 pm

Love it! That’s hilarious, but sometimes so true! I think you hit the nail on the head with schedule it. If you make an appointment with yourself and keep it like you do all the other ones on your calendar, soon it will be a non-negotiable to change. Good luck getting back in to your routine!