February 23, 2017

5 Benefits of Fitness You Can’t Measure with a Test

Staying consistent with fitness can sometimes seem like a full-time job. Inherently, I think we are all lazy. I mean who wouldn’t rather lay on the couch binge watching On Demand with a bucket of Salted Caramel Gelato! But that’s what got me unhealthy in the first place. After having spent more than a year and a half losing over 100 lbs., getting my workouts in is a priority in my schedule. But even more than that, I’ve seen firsthand how focusing on my fitness has DRAMATICALLY improved my health.

The wakeup call came for me when my doctor called me after my annual physical to let me know that for the first time ever my labs had come back pre-diabetic.  Diabetes?! I already have breast cancer and know another co-morbidity is potentially threatening my life. That’s when I knew I had to change my priorities and make my health the number one concern.

In addition to losing the weight, I also went off my high blood pressure medicine, my HDL improved and my labs revealed I am no longer in the pre-diabetes category. Now, the only medicine I take is my breast cancer meds.  Knowing that my body achieved even more benefits than just those things that can be measured by tests, committing to a healthier lifestyle which includes fitness on most days also improved some other areas.

Better Endurance – As you get consistent with working out, your lungs are benefiting by an increase in oxygen uptake. This, in turn, gets the heart pumping more blood through the system. The result is happier muscles and organs!

No more Foggy Brain – If you have ever tried to focus really hard, but no matter what you do, you just can’t concentrate? I call that foggy brain. Believe it or not, that foggy brain can actually be a result of fatigue or stress. One way to minimize that feeling is to get those endorphins pumping! Endorphins actually improve your brains functions. So, before you take your next exam or give that big presentation to your boss, get in a little workout and get those synapses firing!

Improve the Quality of Sleep – Your daily workouts can actually help improve the quality of your sleep. I am one of those people whose brain goes a mile a minute as soon as I go to bed at night. I have actually found that for me, an evening workout helps me fall asleep faster and get a better night’s sleep. For some that may seem counterintuitive as the endorphins from your workout might actually wake up your body and prevent your brain from relaxing. I find that the quality of my workouts push me to my fatigue limit, so my body is ready to fall asleep when I hit the pillow.

Endorphins Make You Happy –Remember the line from Legally Blonde where Reese Witherspoon is talking about the client’s fitness empire and she says that Brooke couldn’t have committed the crime because exercise increases endorphins, endorphins make you happy and happy people don’t kill people?  She’s correct! Endorphins are our body’s natural happy pill!

Energy Boost – Have you ever been really tired and had to fight with yourself to decide between your workout and that tub of Salted Caramel ice cream calling your name from the freezer? Then, you pushed the devil off your shoulder and got your workout done after which you felt like you could scale Mt. Everest you had so much energy. That’s what fitness does for our bodies! It’s like drinking a jolt or an espresso without actually having to drink them. Gotta love endorphins!

What benefits do you get from being consistent with your fitness routine?

5 Fitness Benefits Can't Measure

FREE Guide to Setting and Achieving Your Goals
Subscribe to download. This guide will walk you through creating actionable steps toward reaching your goals!

34 Comments on “5 Benefits of Fitness You Can’t Measure with a Test

runningaroundtheboyz
February 24, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Wow, sounds like you’ve have a crazy and amazing and whirlwind few years! Congrats on such a dramatic weight loss and sending you positive vibes to continue to fight breast cancer!
runningaroundtheboyz recently posted…It’s Runfession Time!My Profile

February 27, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Thanks, Gina! It’s been a journey and as hard as it has been at times, the path ahead feels inspiring!

Mary Beth Jackson
February 24, 2017 at 4:51 pm

Those are all great benefits! It is pretty amazing how that energy level turns right around and one great decision leads to another!
Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…February in Florida- what to runfess?My Profile

Kimberly G
February 24, 2017 at 5:12 pm

I think that these are all awesome benefits! Endorphins definitely make me feel so happy!
Kimberly G recently posted…My 5 Favorite Workout DVDsMy Profile

February 27, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Endorphins = 🙂

Emily Holdorf
February 24, 2017 at 5:35 pm

Definitely love the improved sleep & energy I get from regularly being active!

Abbey Sharp
February 24, 2017 at 5:50 pm

I love these benefits. It’s amazing what exercise can do for us. Thanks for sharing :). I better get running!
Abbey Sharp recently posted…Vegan Poke Bowls with Crispy Tofu | 3 Takes on Gluten Free Power BowlsMy Profile

ACKTIVE LIFE
February 24, 2017 at 5:54 pm

When I am consistent with my fitness routines I noticed I am more energized and focused during the day, but come 9:00 PM I am done…HAHAHA! It also helps me sleep better and I LOVE the way it revs up my appetite. And those endorphins…The BEST!
ACKTIVE LIFE recently posted…Friday Friendly RemindersMy Profile

February 27, 2017 at 1:27 pm

I notice I can always tell which of my workouts was really taxing on my body because I’m exhausted by 9pm too when they are!

Kimberly Hatting
February 24, 2017 at 6:37 pm

yes to all of this! I know my sleep patterns are not ideal (I’m lucky to get 5-6 hours a night). But, somehow, I’m able to function without any problems….my mind is alert and my energy level always feels great. It has to be the exercise 😉
Kimberly Hatting recently posted…Warm Weather…So, what’s there to Runfess?My Profile

Farrah
February 24, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Yayy! I’m so happy for you! :D! The first thing I always try with my patients = lifestyle + dietary modifications; I like to have them avoid taking daily medications unless it’s actually necessary! These are definitely all awesome benefits of improved physical fitness! :] Congrats on you getting out of the prediabetic range + getting your HDL levels up! :]!

Sarah
February 24, 2017 at 8:25 pm

So many benefits that you can’t measure other than the way you look, weight, and health (the numbers). For me exercise is huge mentally as much as physically and it’s huge in reducing my stress!

February 27, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Stress relief is a great benefit too! Exercise really does help that for me too. Guess it goes hand in hand with those Endorphins.

Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home
February 24, 2017 at 8:36 pm

I’m so impressed that you lost and kept off 100#! So motivating. I’ve always been active but now I need that extra push to get me through these RA flares.
Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Runfessions: FebruaryMy Profile

February 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Thanks, Wendy! It has really changed my life getting back to my pre-mommy weight. It’s been a real journey to get there, but I’ve learned so much along the way. I hope the RA is manageable for you.

Anna @ Pipers Run
February 24, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Consistent workouts us make me feel better and stronger overall. Right now I’m runnig very little but doing many other sports, which I’m fine with.

February 27, 2017 at 1:38 pm

This is a great point, Piper. I’ve always been a big advocate that staying active in the sports we love means that we can stay fit without it feeling forced.

Lynn
February 24, 2017 at 9:15 pm

I definitely feel better when I work out. And I feel drained and like I missed out on something when I don’t. Thanks for the great read!

Lynn N.
Pinterest/Twitter: @emmaandrose
Instagram: @emmaandroseblog

February 27, 2017 at 1:26 pm

That’s a great point, Lynn. If I miss a day or two my body feels drained too. Our bodies must be missing all those endorphins we get from our workouts!

Rachel
February 24, 2017 at 9:22 pm

Congrats! I’m glad you’re feeling well and the numbers are in agreement. xxoo
Rachel recently posted…I Runfess… Running Fast, the Best Husband, + Global WarmingMy Profile

jill conyers
February 25, 2017 at 4:21 am

Love this Cassandra! The benefits go far beyond the numbers. The mental benefits alone are enough to get me out the door or to my workout room.
jill conyers recently posted…Healthy Berry and Yogurt Dessert PizzaMy Profile

February 27, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Thanks, Jill. The mental health aspect of fitness goes a long way in keeping up the commitment to the physical side.

Kathryn @ Dancing to Running
February 25, 2017 at 6:29 am

I too find that afternoon or evening workouts help me to sleep better. Nothing like a tired body to help tire my mind out and to help me more easily fall asleep.
Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Friday Five – Current CountdownsMy Profile

February 27, 2017 at 1:35 pm

I definitely need a tired mind! I swear it’s my busy brain that keeps me awake at night, but those hard workouts in the evening help immensely.

dixya @food, pleasure, and health
February 25, 2017 at 8:01 am

definitely better quality of sleep and improved mood for me.
dixya @food, pleasure, and health recently posted…Virtual Coffee DateMy Profile

Katie Shepherd
February 25, 2017 at 8:20 am

I have a lot more energy than women my age who don’t exercise at all. Feels great to be able to keep up with my kids!

Coco
February 25, 2017 at 8:35 am

My sanity and stress level definitely are key benefits. Plus, my energy levels really are better when I exercise.

Jenn
February 25, 2017 at 9:16 am

The benefits are just too countless: I feel great, I feel like I can take on the world. It improves my mood and my anxiety. I know I’m healthier inside. I’m a crap sleeper so I don’t know that it helps me much on that end, but it’s probably better than if I didn’t exercise.

It’s just good all the way around.
Jenn recently posted…friday five 2.0: five reasons to run publix savannah women’s halfMy Profile

February 27, 2017 at 1:25 pm

LOL My sleep patterns are not so great either. It’s one of my 2017 goals to work on. I am starting to make myself go to bed earlier and it is making a difference!

Angela @marathonsandmotivation.com
February 25, 2017 at 1:43 pm

I love this post so much! I totally agree, I run and stay fit as much for my mental health as physical and I sure feel it mentally when I take time off!!!

February 27, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Me too! It must be all those endorphins flowing around in there because when I have to take off a little longer for recovery/injury prevention my mental health suffers too. Great point!

Mikki
February 25, 2017 at 7:20 pm

What a great post. This is such an encouragement for those who aren’t seeing benefits physically!
Mikki recently posted…Trail Mix Smoothie Bowl ~ You’ll Want To Make Extra!My Profile

February 27, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Not seeing the benefits physically can really lead people to throw in the towel. I think it’s important that instead of just assessing our success by the number on the scale, we look at all the ways that our fitness routine has improved our life.

Toni
February 26, 2017 at 8:17 pm

Regularly being active is awesome! I have unlimited amounts of energy now!
Toni recently posted…Cheaters Never Win and Winners Never Cheat….Right?My Profile